Before I begin this story I have to share with you the joy Louis brought us today. She has entered a cooing stage and has become so responsive to everything we say to her, and every time we look at her. We are having so much fun watching her grow. Because we have recently discovered Louisa's love for music, we have been singing to her anything that pops into our heads. I sing her Les Mis, Phantom, and Rent; Amos sings her hipster band music that I don't know (if it's not Michael Jackson or Prince, it's likely I don't know what you are talking about). Today we turned on a Minnesota top 40 station and began to dance with her. She smiled and cooed at first but ended up giggling over and over again. Although she's been giving us mini-giggles, these were her first laughs. It was one of the most wonderful things I have experienced next to reunion episodes of Real Housewives.
So our trip to Minnesota. It was epic and full and yet I feel like I still missed out on seeing so many important people. We tried to change my plane ticket to extend my trip but airlines are cruel and it was too expensive. Because this trip was so full, I will provide mainly photos with short descriptions. We all have important things to do and I don't want to take up your time with my repeated gushing about Minnesota and New Ulm. What's important to know is that (1) we love New Ulm, (2) we love Mom, and (3) summer is so much better in Minnesota.
Sunday: Louisa met Gram for the first time, ate pizza at Broadway Pizza in Richfield (well, she only indirectly ate Broadway pizza). Then, we then headed for a quick visit with my good friend Heather and her 11 day old baby Ruby Elise, Louisa's future dance partner on So You Think You Can Dance.
 |
| Ruby was tired of hearing Louisa go on about the need to rehearse for SYTYCD. |
We headed home to New Ulm where she slept calmly in the redecorated nursery Mom prepared for her. Also, and this is important to everyone expecting kids, Mom was given this amazing cradle that played music, rocked side to side and had some flying sheep in an electronic mobile. It was magic to Louisa. She would lie in the cradle, watching in awe the mobile above her head. Slowly, her eyes would roll back and she'd sleep for more than an hour (impressive for my baby who, like her mom, thinks napping is a total waste of time).
 |
| So comfortable! |
Monday: I went on a four mile run in 100 degree weather because I still have yet to grasp that my body is not as capable as it was pre-pregnancy. I returned home purple. The rest of the day we relaxed, read and enjoyed time with my mom and our lovely neighbor Marlice (who Louisa absolutely adores!). That night my close friend Paul drove down to New Ulm to meet Louisa and go to dinner at George's. We shared a bottle of wine as Louisa sat transfixed by the Grain Belt sign in the window.
 |
| Louisa and Paul enjoyed the backyard and discussed what Mom should plant next year. |
Tuesday: Amos's parents came to New Ulm and were able to see how much Louisa had changed since they had seen her in mid-June. It had only been a month but she had grown so much and surely recognized them. That evening Sarah Sjogren and her 4 month old baby, Annika, stopped by for a quick visit. And Mom's friend Sharon, her daughter Danielle and her baby girl Olivia came over for dinner. Both babies were absolutely adorable and so engaged. As we sat around the dining room table eating dinner, Olivia sat in her chair just babbling away. Louisa joined her and they had a discussion about what games we'd play Christmas Eve.
 |
| Louisa and Sharon talked about when Louisa should start applying to vet school. |
 |
| Olivia in mom's arms and Annika in Sarah's arms. Annika was desperate to play. |
 |
| Danielle holding an exhausted Louisa. |
Wednesday: Jared, the son my dad never had, stopped by with some fancy gifts for Louisa. He stayed briefly, long enough to pet each cat and pose for a photo with Louisa. Jared is always coy about his personal life but Louisa convinced him to share some gossip with us.
 |
| She's behaving for Jared so he tells her the New Ulm gossip. |
Soon after, Mom's wonderfully fun friends came over as they do every Wednesday. But Louisa was far too tired after three days of so much interaction and was upset we weren't invited to their annual Colorado trip. Before bed, we did stage a little photo shoot with the ladies. Louisa was trying to impress them with her acting skills. Her attempt to act distraught is convincing.

Thursday: We were visited by Gretchen, who is expecting her own baby girl in October, Carla and Carla's son Chayton and walked over to Sarah's house for Papa Murphy's pizza. As usual, I ate more than everyone. Papa Murphy's is so tasty! My favorite photo from the week occurred at this dinner.
 |
| Annika is such a poser. Louisa is still confused. |
Friday: We drove up to the Cities for my grandfather's interment at Fort Snelling and a family gathering at my aunt's house. Louisa was finally able to meet her aunt, Sam, and her cousins. We spent the afternoon swimming and eating and catching up. Louisa had a ball, up until she was ready to go home. It was such a great afternoon. Heaven to me would be swimming all afternoon followed by homemade strawberry shortcake.
 |
| Cuddling with Gram. Two classy ladies. |
 |
| All four of us post swim. |
 |
| With cousin Tara and looking longingly at the pool. |
 |
| Enjoying lots of cuddles from cousin Nielle. |
 |
| Very sad to leave Aunt Ricki. |
Very important. We had Happy Joe's when we got back to New Ulm that night.
Saturday: Joanne, a very good friend from my gym, drove down for a brief visit with Louisa. The visit with Joanne reminded me how much I missed my friends back home. She is such a joy to be around.
 |
| Showing off her new cradle. |
We then set off to Rochester so Louisa could meet the Tuttle family. Louisa met her Aunt Kristi and they spent the night discussing what reality tv shows we would watch when we are back in September.
 |
| With her Uncle Louis and cousin Maria. She snoozed after a minor breakdown. |
 |
| She sure loves her grandma. |
 |
| Napping with Auntie after too much taco dip. |
 |
| Looking for the kitties. |
 |
| Posing with her Auntie. |
 |
| She did love her Uncle Mark, but she was ready to go home. |
 |
| With Papa. She was upset to leave him. |
 |
| Before we left, Louisa started a dance party to I Will Survive. |
 |
| Cousin Caty. |
 |
| Cousin Matthew giving Louisa a cuddle and discussing her finances with her. |
Sunday: Sam left early in the morning, but she and Louisa managed to discuss what we should eat at Christmas since Louisa will be able to eat solid foods by then. Louisa requested rouladen.
 |
| Please make sure there are plenty of sand tarts at Christmas, Auntie. |
My best friends Shane, Brett and Edith came down to New Ulm. We had a great lunch of brats and potato salad (Thanks mama!) and great talks that, as always, revolved around politics. Edith left early afternoon and Shane, Brett and I went on a long walk around New Ulm. We ended up at German Park where I put my feet in the fountain and we took pictures of Louisa next to Dad's bench.
 |
| She loves Edith. We all do! |
 |
| Charmed by my two main men, as expected. |
 |
| After a long walk in the heat. |
 |
| Taking a nap with Dad. |
Monday: I packed and tried to find a way to extend my trip. Louisa was able to spend some quality time with our neighbor Marlice. She chatted and cooed to Marlice and giggled every time Marlice came into the room. They bonded over their love for kitties.
 |
| Wishing we could stay an extra day. |
Tuesday: We headed to the airport. I changed my flight to a direct flight and paid a bit extra for more leg room so I could maneuver easily with my (brand new!) diaper bag (Thanks mama!). After an uneventful flight, we returned home where Louisa cuddled with her daddy and her kitties.
 |
| Passed out after a busy day. |
We had such a great time in Minnesota and are eager to return. I am blessed to have such wonderful friends and family who were willing to come to New Ulm to meet my baby. I really appreciate everyone's willingness to drive the hour and a half. FYI, I am hoping we'll be back Sept 16-23 or around that time. By then, Louisa will likely be holding full conversations so I hope to see everyone then!
No comments:
Post a Comment