The decision for the Halloween costume was a big one. I had wanted Louisa to be a cowgirl after I found a costume where the wearer actually appears as though it is riding a stuffed horse, but Amazon, Babies R Us etc only had little girl sizes, not tiny girl sizes. So my friend Tina and I debated between a lamb and an owl and concluded this was the cutest (and warmest because I am a Minnesotan and just assume we'll be cold).
For the evening we went to Tina and Shay's friends' house in a neighborhood with huge houses where people doled out king size candy bars. We took Pia, the banana, (Louisa, who loves Pia dearly, also spent most of the day yesterday saying, "Pia, Nana, Pia, Nana" explaining to everyone that Pia had gone as a banana) and our friend Amy (works for the Timbers, from Minnesota and also insistent on living in Minnesota again as all Minnesotans are) to explore the neighborhood and go trick-or-treating.
| Pia the banana, Amy, Louisa, and the coolest girl in the world |
Louisa practiced saying "Trick or Treat" and when we'd get to each house she'd say, "Tee Teet!" and, more often then not, just walk right into the house. This was particularly true if there were a dog in the house.
| Is that a puppy in that house? |
Because she was so tiny and so enthusiastic, the candy-givers were charmed and often had to call their spouse over to see her. She was particularly good at saying "hoo! hoo!" and bounced up and down as she said it. I like to say it's because she was flapping her wings.
| The star of the show. |
| Amos and I disagreed about whether Louisa should have a piece of candy. Amos won out. |
| My favorite candy is Milky Way! |
| Pia and I decided cool decorations don't necessarily translate to exceptional candy. |
Finally, at the end of the night, Louisa and Pia were spent. Pia started doing a bear crawl up the side walk (I assume as a horse) and Louisa insisted on being put down and copied our Pia.
| Done and done! |
Amy and I noted two things about trick-or-treating in Portland: (1) It was very warm out, warmer than it had been in Portland recently. We also recalled trick-or-treating in Minnesota often involved a heavy coat over one's costume; (2) People start trick-or-treating late. We went out around 6:30 and I was, I mean, Pia was, concerned that all the candy would be gone. In fact, when we set out we commented on how dead it was in the neighborhood as we only ran into a few families for the first half hour. But then by 7:30, the neighborhood was bursting at the seams with tweens in their costumes. I just remember in New Ulm, if you went out at 6 most every candy dish was empty. Also, I saw a group of 12 year old girls in super hero costumes ( group costumes are huge here! they are all about themes!), and I told Amos I was very pleased to see this and hope it reflects the fact that they are good feminists who will vote for Hillary when she runs for her second term in 2020.
A quick aside just so I remember this. Louisa has become proficient at singing some songs on her music CD. The song she knows best is "Hello Everybody" which was on every CD for every class. When she wants to here the CD she sings, "Helloooooo" pretty much in tune. It is early here and I went into check on her. Sleeping, she bellowed out "Hellooooo!" and turned over and fell back to sleep. You gotta love her!
No comments:
Post a Comment