Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Little Mermaid



The Tuttle-Magee Household had an eventful weekend this MLK Weekend and it was followed by a surprise snow day on Tuesday! This is the best job ever!

Snow Angels!

My phone is hilarious

Trying to sled while LJ eats

Friday evening we met Sarah and Tony at our new favorite pizza place in Old Town. It was Restaurant Week so we literally ordered the whole menu (four pizzas, four small appetizers, two desserts, woo hoo!). Sarah and Amos were most excited about telling the waitress, “we’ll take the whole menu!” and insisted on taking turns ordering “the whole menu”. Louisa spent most of the dinner telling Tony and Sarah about dinosaurs and sharks and explaining that they may just be “too scary” for everyone at the table.

Look at the dinosaurs, Tony!



We ended the evening playing 500. I forget how time can pass so quickly and eventfully when playing a card game. I love cards, particularly team games, particularly when I beat Amos. Since their visit, Louisa has incorporated Tony and Sarah into most conversations. Whenever we discuss something whether it is dinosaurs, sharks, or the Muppets, she needs to ask if Sarah and Tony have similar feelings to these as her. "Sharks too scary for Sarah? Sharks too scary for Tony? Cuddle on the couch with Tony?"

Saturday, Louisa and I returned to our disappointing music class. While it was better, I assumed this was because my expectations were so low. Sadly, during the dance song, a number of the parents just stood there as if they were nervous adolescents at a Valentine’s dance. I was sorry for their kiddos. For the cuddle song, the instructor, who prostrates herself on the floor for the duration of the song (this never happened in our Portland classes, I find it kind of weird but whatever, at least she is committing even if it is only for that moment), was joined by Louisa who placed her head gently on the instructor’s shoulder. Everyone was laughing but Louisa was very committed to pretending to nap. I ADORE how she places herself directly in the middle of any situation that piques her interest without abandon.  

That afternoon was the event of the weekend! And it was…. a community theatre performance of the Little Mermaid. The cast was made up of high school and middle school students each more enthusiastic than the next one. Although an hour and thirty minutes is a long time for a toddler to sit still, Louisa did an exceptional job in her role as audience member. For the first, maybe, thirty minutes she sat on my lap, transfixed, as she ate her snack.  She did become antsy before the intermission and insisted she needed “down” and to “walk”. But the second the lights came up for intermission, she cried for the Little Mermaid and I tried to calm her with the Fritos we bought at the concession stand.  Hey, it worked!

Look at the mermaid!


The musical reminded us how great the movie itself is and we promptly went to Target to find it. Louisa also tolerates about thirty minutes of the movie until she bores. This is a good thing, as far as I’m concerned, as I’d hate for her to sit for too long staring at the TV (unless it’s Real Housewives), but it is a good distraction for making dinner. Plus, she loves the DVD case. She’ll cuddle it, referring to it as “the princess”. So really, all we need to do is hand her the case and she is satisfied.
Louisa also has a new obsession with the Muppets, or, as she calls them, the Muffits. We watched some of the most recent movie but it just isn’t enough for her.  She also loves listening to the song  “Am I a Muppet or a Man”.  She calls it “Muffit and the Man” and sings along when we listen to it. It’s so great. 

Sunday morning we went to The National Zoo which is spectacular, massive and free (other than parking). We tried to see the baby panda but the line was too long and we had somewhere to be in the afternoon, um, and we didn’t have coffee. But we did visit the reptile house which, honestly, could have taken the whole day. Louisa was fascinated with the turtles, frogs and snakes. I try to avoid talking about any animals with any fear or disgust so we spent a lot of time waving and blowing kisses at the reptiles. One creature was literally “too scary” for Louisa to socialize with. This turtle, whose habitat is apparently is in the south (good thing we didn’t move to Arkansas!), catches its prey simply by opening his mouth and waiting for creatures to climb in. He was staring into the glass when, very slowly, he opened his mouth and remained, mouth open, until we left. Louisa needed to get away from him immediately but was interested enough that when we returned home, she kept showing me “the turtle”.





Finally, the weekend was dominated by Amos’s determination to build Louisa’s kitchen. My mom, in all her generosity, gave Louisa a kitchen for Christmas. It has sat, unopened, in our basement for a month waiting for us to finish organizing the basement/my office/the spare room. When we finally accomplished this, Amos spent the better part of Tuesday assembling this toy. Louisa was a great helper!



Finally, after hours of work, it was complete and Louisa LOVED it! She immediately started putting the felt sandwich and pizza set Nanny had given her in the oven and in the refrigerator. Then, she picked up the toy phone and started talking to nanny about her kitchen and “showing” her the kitchen with her phone (this is Louisa’s new thing when talking to Sammy or Nanny, “showing” them everything in the house including the couch, a book, Sissy). Even last night, right before bed, Louisa had to take my phone with the real Nanny on the other end and show her around her new kitchen. It is a great and beautiful toy which will surely occupy Louisa for years.



Most importantly, what is interesting about raising a child is, as we all know, watching them develop and become individuals. I have noticed one characteristic solidify in Louisa recently which I find heartbreakingly endearing. My mom, sister and I have a tendency to give a little giggle in response to something we may not hear or understand or simply have no response to. This is a way to kindly acknowledge what someone says without really having to point out any awkward confusion, I suppose, although it is just natural with us (side note, once one of us giggled when someone said something awkward and the person actually asked, what are you laughing at? It was gross and unkind and put us on the spot – these are characteristics I hope Louisa never develops). But it is likely very Midwestern and because she is a Minnesota baby, Louisa has started doing this. When discussing something with her (or to her) that she clearly doesn’t know or understand, she gives a little giggle. She doesn’t act confused or uninterested or annoyed, she just giggles in acknowledgement and moves on. Already she is becoming such a kind and agreeable child. But her tendency to say “I’m sorry” all the time is making me a little nervous (another Tuttle habit I have noticed in myself and my family – it is just easier to say “I’m sorry” no matter what the situation is). In fact, I noticed myself say I’m sorry to Amos about four times while making dinner. Not cool.  As my friend pointed out this weekend, it’s very feminine, or “feminine”, to always apologize (and I fear the insidious fingers of sexism affecting Louisa’s development and her personhood and am trying to be vigilant no matter how inevitable) so I try to remind her that it is unnecessary to apologize and that, of course, she did nothing wrong.  Luckily, I think she doesn’t necessarily know what it means, but she hears me say it often enough that she thinks it is the appropriate response to a number of situations, even when it isn’t. That’s a problem too, I guess. Raising kids is difficult! Luckily we have Sissy to help raise her as well!


Anyway, we are excited for the appearance of our good friend Abby this weekend who is visiting from Portland and !!!!! in 8 days a visit from the one and only Goodells! We have begun our countdown.

1 comment:

  1. I love listening to your account of parenthood almost as much as I love Louisa's impression of the turtle. She is so rad. I want to visit soon.

    ReplyDelete