Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Princess Belle

This past weekend was busy, exhaustively so it seemed. Even LJ's naps didn't provide us with the downtime we usually exploit on weekends, mainly for catching up on tv shows. As I stated before, working from home has really freed up my life. Things seem much more possible now than before. Although we usually eat home-cooked meals, the idea that I can produce a labor-intensive meal on a weekday brings me joy. Also, I feel like I'm no longer missing out on Louisa's day to day activities and growth, although Amos and I have both noticed that she has changed quite a bit most recently. She has suddenly become even funnier and more performative and, I'm afraid, a little whinier. She says, NOooo, a lot. With an intense whine. Amos has a particularly hard time with this.

On Saturday, my Moms' Group held a consignment sale. I volunteered Friday evening to help set up. This means you get to shop a bit earlier. I have learned that going to sales is only beneficial if you can arrive early. Otherwise you are left with stained clothing or infant toys.

Saturday morning I rose early in order to work out before the sale, but I've been feeling under 100% the past week and told myself lying in might be better. These are things I never do anymore: (1) skip a work out and (2) sleep in past seven. But I assume I needed it if I was willing to do it. At least that's what I tell myself. The sale was fine, I bought some items but know I need more to prepare us for the humid summer in this area. I did find a treasure, however, and it was in the form of an unopened Belle costume from Beauty and the Beast (Louisa has yet to see this movie). In the box came a shirt and skirt of low quality satin as well as a crown (or Hope Diamond) and wand.

I brought it home to Louisa and she insisted on trying on the Hope Diamond immediately. We put the princess dress over her clothing to see how it fit and, from then on, the dress was attached to her little body.


That afternoon, we met Tony and Sarah at Farmers Fishers Bakers on the waterfront in Georgetown for a late brunch. It was tasty but Tony and I, who ordered the $30 brunch, were disappointed the fish fry, bottomless cups of ice tea, and pizza didn't come around as they had promised. But otherwise it was good. Louisa sat between Sarah and Tony in her princess costume and picked at everyone's food. The weather was gorgeous so she was mainly interested in getting outside.






As we walked along the boardwalk to our car, we past a number of bars where preppy kids in their mid-20s were drinking to loud music. Louisa wanted to walk, so she shuffled along with us. At one point, the music must have moved her as she stopped, turned and starting clapping along with the music. The patrons of the place laughed and pointed, something that happens to us nearly daily now that we have Louisa. When Amos picked her up, Louisa continued to dance and shimmied her way to the car.

That evening was Amos's first soccer game. Unfortunately, they lost 3-0 but he is happy with the organization which is reassuring. I'm guessing I won't have to ask him "what would Veronica Mars do?" as I did with the Timbers. Meanwhile, I went to see a comedienne, Amy Schumar, with Cristina. Super funny and quite short which I enjoyed. Getting home by 10 was a total perk. Jennica watched Louisa and, like the thoughtful person she is, had downloaded Frozen and Tangled, knowing that it might be a struggle.

Sunday morning we had people over for brunch, mainly so I could discuss some research with one of our friends. She is very well connected in the food and nutrition world and has a lot of insight on my research ideas. It's motivating talking to her because I'm reminded that, if I ever produce work, it may actually be important.

That afternoon we met Amos's friend and his wife who were in town for a visit. We ran around the Mall where Louisa made some friends. We also rode on the carousel. FYI, these spin much faster than you think. I was dizzy when we came off, but it was worth it since Louisa is missing horses a lot right now.

It was so fast Amos could barely get a photo!


Next weekend we are off to rural VA where, I hope, we both get to see some horses!

No comments:

Post a Comment