Monday, June 9, 2014

Saving Bugs

This weekend was a busy soccer weekend for Amos which meant Louisa and I loads of time just the two of us. Because she is the second coming of my grandmother, Omi, she would prefer to spend most of her time swimming in the pool. And actually, would prefer if I'd just stop helping her try to swim in the deep end and let her swim by herself because, you know, she can.

My co-worker lives down the hill from us in a very Melrose Place-like complex (seriously, the are so social Amos and I hope they adopt us) and they had a yard sale on Saturday. So around 9, Louisa, Amos and I wandered down to hang out with her and another co-worker of mine. We sat in the grass while Louisa ran around chasing dogs, picking up bugs and trying to cuddle the latter co-worker (I'm convinced she loves him because he is German). The weather is interesting in this area. The news predicts lower to mid 70s in the morning, and maybe a high of 84 by late afternoon, but by 9:30am, we were all seeking cover under the trees to stay cool. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I love that there is real summer here and that, even this morning, I left my house at 5:40 with no coat or sweater, just a short sleeved shirt. Awesome.

Dressing up for Shelly and Erik
That afternoon, Cristina came over to spend the day and evening with us. Xtina and I got pedicures and commiserated about how really, all we want is for someone to paint our nails. Everything else is too ticklish and uncomfortable. Cristina, LJ and I went to the pool and started out swimming in the big pool since our neighbors, who Louisa loves, were already there. We passed Louisa back and forth and when Louisa finally realized we wouldn't let her swim the laps she thought she could, we retired to the kiddy pool. There were a few struggling bugs in the kiddy pool that I reflexively saved - it's what Tuttles do. Louisa was fascinated by this and this fascination, combined with the general concern and empathy she inherited from the Snyder/Tuttle families, meant she spent much of her time in the little pool trying to save bugs... even the dead ones.

Cristina made my favorite, bacon spaghetti, for dinner (Louisa LOVES this) and we attended our neighborhood's margarita party where there was a live band and hot dogs, Louisa's favorite things. When we got to the party around 6, Louisa decided all she wanted to do was dance, so she spent an hour, standing shyly in front of this band and dancing periodically. When we returned home to eat dinner, she continued to insist on returning to the party so she can dance more. So we reluctantly returned, even though it was past her bedtime and Xtina and I had some serious Homeland to watch, and she danced for a few more songs. She even scored a shout out from the band for returning to dance. She did start a trend as, soon enough, other kids joined in.


Will they play the Muffets?
Sunday, Amos had to go to Virginia Beach for a game. Louisa and I originally were going to attend, but decided a 3 hour drive for a day trip was too much for a tiny one. So we went to my friend's house who has two little ones and spent the day baking cookies and watching the children battle over toys. The best part of the day was the evening meal where we had a very traditional German meal, which reminded me of sitting in Omi and Papa's dining room, eating lunch. I'm hungry for this meal even now.

Looking for bunnies
Where's Claudidia?????
Three adventurous kids
Dress up with her new friend
I can't handle how cute she is. And how eager she was to wear this.


No comments:

Post a Comment