Tuesday, March 1, 2016

New Words and ER Visits

As my friend said, maybe you should wrap your family in bubble wrap? Yes, Shelly, yes, this seems more reasonable now than it did a month ago.

Saturday was a beautiful day. Amos had a game and the girls and I were going to meet LJ's friend at a local playground. While I was gathering some bits in the basement, I heard EC let out a painful cry and assumed she had bumped her head as she does multiple times a day, because she's a baby learning to climb and move. I came upstairs and she was sitting up as her loving sister and picked her up, but she had a bloody eye. Seriously. And then she puked. Yep, panic.

So I called her doctor, they said anytime there is vomiting after this they suggest ER. Siiiiigh. I'm so over the ER, I thought, and my fatigue of being fearful for my own health and my children's resulted in subdued panic. I was nervous, but my gut told me it was okay. We went to Inova Fairfax which has an AWESOME children's hospital. The doctor was examining EC before the nurse even got the vitals. Within minutes I was reassured and the doctor commented about EC's verbal skills, cooed at her a bit, gave her a cuddle and left the triage room. Her supervisor came next but, before coming completely into the room, peaked her head in then called over to the student PA, "you are right, she is the cutest baby I've seen!" No biggie.

The greatest stress of this whole event was that Amos had a U-18 game, so I was unable to get in touch. I called him repeatedly, and so did the neighbors, and when I finally got through it was time to leave. In the end, not a big deal since it was such a quick in and out. I think it was more traumatic for poor Amos who saw tons of missed calls from me and Jeannie and Jasper on his phone.

As for new words, well, our EC is very verbal and can say "hiiiiiii" very distinctly when people enter the room or when she sees the phone. She also has mastered "no, no, no, no, no" all while pointing a finger and wagging it. And she just talks and talks. This morning, before I left for work, I nursed her, then she said up and started chatting and, my favorite, making herself giggle. Amos went to the bathroom and she called after him, her hands turned up in a sort of, what's going on? why did you leave? way. She has started to show affection toward the cats, stroking them or simply laying her head on their tummy.

Finally, it's Super Tuesday. I'm nervous but hopeful. I know Minnesota is expected to go different route than I had originally assumed, Minnesota being pragmatically left-leaning. And it makes me sad that it seems to be more Portland/San Francisco-y in its liberal but NOMBY kind of attitude. But oh well. I think my girl will take it all in the end. And that's what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment