Monday, September 22, 2014

The Roosevelts and Soccer

This week was generally uneventful. Amos had a number of soccer events he had to attend nearly every night but Friday which meant early dinners and active afternoons to tire Louisa out before bed. This also meant I spent every evening watching the PBS documentary on the Roosevelts. Fascinating, although I am feeling the need to rewatch the entire documentary since my viewing was interrupted by a restless Louisa. FYI, Teddy we all know was a unique man and he moved me but the star of the show is, of course, Eleanor. I actually was quite put off my FDR given his treatment of his wife. And his mother was awful to her. Ugh. Poor Eleanor.

We are trying to address our poor parenting decision of falling asleep in the big bed with her by letting her fall asleep in the bed but without us. The first night was successful but, predictably, the following evenings were not. Thursday I had to utilize some tough love since I had a long distance book club with Minnesota friends that I was unwilling to sacrifice. After many visits, she fell asleep, and, although I felt terribly guilty, I was able to chat about Burial Rites, poverty, moving back to Minnesota and Scotland with some really great people.

Saturday we went to the Arlington Farmer's Market and dropped Amos off at a soccer game. Louisa and I then went to music which is more exhausting now for me than it ever has been. This was followed by a visit to Heidelberg Baker for brats and sauerkraut. Louisa LOVED her brat, she nearly ate the whole thing! I might have to introduce sauerkraut to her next week. I was quite pleased with her love for German food. Omi would be proud. I also am committed to getting a weekly brat until they no longer grill out. Just stepping up to the grill smells like New Ulm to me. The the bauernwurst is just like the landjager from Lenny's.

We also attended a potluck for work where Louisa and 3 year old Christian watched Frozen and sang and danced for us. I ate a container of peanuts and candy corn even though I don't even like candy. Have you ever had this combination? I couldn't stop myself and, consequently, felt really bad about myself afterward.

Sunday I had a training and Amos had another game so Louisa was able to spend the whole day with Crysten. They hung out at Crysten's house so Lousia could see Edgar and had pizza for lunch with Andrew. Louisa told Crysten and Andrew that she has a baby in her tummy, a sister, she says. Or a guller, as she pronounces girl. God willing, Louisa, god willing. When I returned, Crysten stayed for dinner and Louisa painted her nails as we watched the Muppets.


     

And Louisa then performed "Am I Muppet or a Man?" multiple times before we crashed in the big bed and listened to Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, giggling ourselves to sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment