I am most homesick for Minnesota and, frankly, for being a student during elections. 2012 was a particularly disappointing, as there was no buzz in the air on election day, no one was outside door-knocking, no union members driving the immobile to vote. It was, sadly, like any other day. This may explain the politics of the Pacific Northwest.
Midterms always seem less eventful, although 2006 and 2010 were significant for different reasons. The morning after the election in 2006, I remember waking up as if it were Christmas morning. I had spent the evening with good friends in Rochester, and we had consumed multiple flirtinis as we watched the votes come in, ending the evening dancing joyously to Dolly Parton. Of course, 2010 was a different story with frustrating, unexpected losses in seemingly strong-hold states. I remember waking up at 3am and grabbing my computer to check Star Tribune, hoping Dayton's victory had been announced.
I know this year doesn't look good for my people although I've paid far less attention than I usually do. I vote in Minnesota, in the first district in fact, and am still hoping for a victory at least on a national level. Although admittedly, I have chosen not to vote for our governor this year. Instead, I'm writing in my mom's name. His compassion and courage were so real to me in 2010, but sadly politics seemed to trump his support for the marginalized and I'm getting tired of this being the Achilles heel of so many good liberals. Hillary is on probation.
Despite the potentially inevitable results, we plan to celebrate the election like we do every year (and for every debate) with chili dogs, the internet being refreshed and alcoholic (or, I guess, non-alcoholic for me) beverages. I still look forward to it as I do each year because I'm a Tuttle.
No comments:
Post a Comment