Monday, January 5, 2015

Christmas 2014 and Resolutions

We are back on the East Coast after a long holiday in God's Land. While it was bittersweet to return, perhaps my pregnancy discomfort or missing my cats or the dryness of Minnesota winters led me to really appreciate "sleeping in my own bed". Plus, I suddenly became preoccupied with preparing our lives for a new wee one and was eager to get started. But still, I have been suffering from the post-Minnesota sadness I always do when I leave given that I'm reminded of the wonderful, supportive, smart and loving people in my life back in the most important state in the union.

Our time in the Cities was scheduled to the last minute which is perfectly fine with me since I feel like the opportunity cost of downtime in the Cities is so high. We had dinners, coffees, breakfasts, mainly food-centered because that's who I am and how social events should be. Louisa was able to see her favorite cousin Caty for the second time in a week which made her day. Her love for Caty may actually free up a night for Amos and me in the Cities since Louisa would spend an evening in the care of Caty happily. We had a great pre-Christmas celebration with my mom's side of the family. The chemistry among this group is lively and inviting and full of laughs. Also, my cousins and aunt are the most generous and thoughtful people when it comes to Louisa. I practically wanted to say at the end of the night, well, LJ, Christmas is done! Gretchen and I did our annual Xmas shopping at the MOA with our 2 year olds. NEVER AGAIN. As we sweated through the three hours with racing hearts and shrill scolds, we agreed next year, it will be only us on this annual adventure. 2 year olds are not great shopping companions, especially at Christmas time, especially at the MOA. At one point at lunch Gretchen declared, "I'm so stressed out right now I feel like I'm going to pass out". Such a departure from our old shopping events where we gaffawed our way through the mall, doubled over in laughter in response to something or other.

We met Sam in Mankato to finish the Christmas shopping on Tuesday which was much easier, although seriously, walking around a lot when you are super pregnant is hard. I never believed it (for myself) before given my dedication to working out with LJ. But my hips particularly strain and ache after too much walking which makes shopping difficult and unpleasant. Not that I love to shop anyway.

We spent the majority of the next 7 days in NU where LJ went sledding, swam and had the attention of four very doting adults. My aunt came for an overnight visit and we returned to the Cities for an Xmas Day meal with Gram and the rest of the family. As Amos said, even when you spend 7 days in NU, time flies like the blink of an eye. Suddenly I was trying to fit everything in, seeing Sarah and Carla as many times as possible, visiting with Jared, meeting friends for coffee and lunch at Lola's, apparently my new go-to. It was too quick.

Important notes: we tend to do a lot of book buying for Xmas. And when you leave NU, you always leave with the excitement of many new books to read. Amos found a book for my mom, We Were Liars, that was 200 pages and perfect reading for a week in New Ulm. Except that I read it in 2 days and was in such a state after finishing it I felt like I was walking through fog. I highly recommend it. I love everything, that's true, but this book was particularly moving. Amos read it after me and was also talking about it days later.

Second, Mom had bought Mary Poppins for Louisa and we periodically watched it throughout the week (LJ can't sit through a movie). This aroused our curiosity in Saving Mr. Banks, a movie Mom and Sam had seen but we hadn't. I had every intention of seeing it, but movie watching is such a privilege for me I have to be very discriminating. We watched it one evening after Sam put LJ to bed (yep, having four parents for your child kicks ass), and I really loved it. I really loved everyone in it. I expressed interest in reading a biography on P. L. Travers but was discouraged by my sister and understood why after visiting her wikipedia page. I'll keep her in the Saving Mr. Banks profile and move on.

Finally, Amos and I have resolved to read every other night before bed. Despite my love for books and reading, reading before bed is difficult for me since I fall asleep within 3 words, but I have decided to read at least 25 books this year and this cannot be accomplished on bus and metro trips to work. So far my list includes

1. Bad Feminist
2. The Paying Guests
3. Conversations with Che Guevara
4. Tenth of December
5. A Husband's Secret

I generally don't read non-fiction but thought I should read Bad Feminist and so far I love it. I love Roxanne Gay and I love her feminist outlook balanced with her love for pop culture. She's like my feminist soul mate.

Also, it was 69 degrees here yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you will stay current on goodreads as it is like twitter in the following way: only fun if your friends are doing it. I only have like three friends on it who actually read books but those three are important influences on my to-read list!

    It was -9 degrees here today. xxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I will. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete