Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Getting Ready

Well, my due date is 2 weeks away and we are slowly preparing the house for a new resident. Most importantly, we set up my new spin bike. Oh, and maybe went through some baby clothes and found the car seat.

Near LJ's birth, I didn't have the "nesting" compulsions that some share. While I had the house professionally cleaned (and it happened to fall on the day Louisa was born), it wasn't me scrubbing the floors or sinks. But this time around, I can feel the compulsive need to get everything in order. I can't look at the floor without quickly grabbing the broom to sweep a few crumbs, or wiping the counter, or doing another load of laundry. Our place is smaller so mess and disorder feels exaggerated. Plus having a toddler does not help keep a place tidy. I should be happy that we don't have to fight off ants constantly on top of everything like we would in Portland. And I am slightly comforted by the fact that Mom will be here sometime soon and she is good at order. And Tina will be here shortly after, also good at helping me keep the place clean.

We also have finally made a list of people to call on when the time comes. It's so much more complicated the second time given that you need to have someone you trust to be available to take care of your other offspring and your cats. Because Midwesterners are reliable, I have a list of four Midwesterners who like cats willing to pick up LJ and take care of her while we are in the hospital. Ideally, she'll spend most of her time with Crysten, her "favorite", but in case Crysten is caught we needed more back up. Our neighbors and some coworkers who LJ already loves were more than willing to help. Making plans for Louisa was particularly stressful given that the flu epidemic prevents kids under 18 from entering the maternity ward, even the recovery room. So our plan of having Crysten just bring LJ to us was nixed. We are hoping this will be lifted by the time I give birth.

I am desperately trying to finish a paper before the time comes. But my motivation ends with housecleaning and baking so completing work projects have been tough. Moreover, despite my constant need to bake I'm not preparing food for post-delivery or anything like that. I was so motivated before Louisa and, frankly, after that despite the fact that I had tons of food in the freezer for after LJ's birth, we didn't really need it because I was cooking so much. My mom was also there the first week making our favorite foods in large batches. I'm hoping she'll do the same this time although her trip will likely be shorter. I'm guessing there may be more pizzas ordered which is fine because, now that LJ discovered pepperoni, it's much more fun to get pizza.

I also have been making a lot more time for reading and am currently reading an enjoyable, kind of indulgent book right now only to be followed up by finishing Bad Feminist and starting Station 11 given Amos's declaration that it is one of the best books he's read in years. (Also, I'd like to repeat that I love and respect Roxanne Gay, I just read her article about Woody Allen published last year which should make any shameful Woody Allen fan - and they all should be shameful - rethink their stance).

LJ still insists she has a baby in her tummy which kicks periodically and gives her morning sickness less frequently. She also asks for confirmation that it's okay, repeating my quiet fretting that has been so prevalent during this pregnancy. We rearranged her room to make more storage space, an arrangement particularly favored by the cats who sleep at the bottom of Louisa's bed nightly. In fact, last night, Louisa woke up around 10 sobbing and as I entered her room I saw Sissy sitting patiently next to her as she wept, trying to nuzzle her tummy. Louisa is so lucky to have such an affectionate mama kitty to take care of her. Cats are magical.

Okay, I also just realized I have a proposal due. Hopefully the baby will wait a couple weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment