Thursday, May 5, 2016

LJ's Fourth Birthday

I can't believe my tiny dark-haired baby has become a strong-willed, performing, math-loving blonde four year old. I know everyone says it goes by quickly, and I get slightly irritated when you are struggling with a little one and you are told to "enjoy it", but it is going by quickly regardless of enjoyable and frustrating moments.

Louisa woke up excited for her birthday and announced that her friends were equally excited. I sent her to school where she was greeted by several homemade birthday cards and squeals of excitement and returned after quiet time with homemade chocolate cupcakes with strawberry buttercream frosting. It always curdles but tastes great.

During the day a mom of one of LJ's friends called to invite us to Guapo's for dinner (Guaco's Louisa calls it), but we had a 'hood gathering and so we invited her and another friend from school. So of course the party went from manageable to large but it was great fun. The four 4/5 year olds were exchanging princess dresses, doing art, running around outside (apparently, I didn't even see them go!). Amos grilled, people ate. And, I can proudly say that despite the fact that there were maybe 30 people over as opposed to 10, there was enough food. Because I was put on this earth to feed people.

I had been panicking the day before and morning of because I felt wholly unprepared. My mom visited the weekend before and we were so busy we barely had time to come up for a breath.  We were determined to buy flowers, plant, organize and for mom to help me sew two dresses for LJ. Well, it rained all weekend so we mainly worked on the dresses, but still bought many plants and rushed outside whenever the rain slowed. Because the weekend was spent running around, visiting Joann Fabrics daily, and the nursery (Louisa: I never want to go to Joann's again!), I hadn't thought to make plans for Wednesday.

But things fell into place and everyone had a great time. Elizabeth even enjoyed the potato salad which means she is, in fact, a good Tuttle. I was afraid he had some Magee tendencies with her small eating and finickiness, but luckily she finally showed some interest in some seriously important food.

Finally, because this is my diary as much as a way to keep people informed, EC had her shots last Wednesday. She ran a fever at 4 months but never since so I wasn't worried. But Wednesday evening she had a fever which we treated promptly with ibuprofen and didn't think much of it. I went into work slightly late on Thursday but left as soon as she started smiling and playing. However, by that afternoon she was sick again and she did have a febrile seizure. Maria, our nanny, was there. She didn't shake like LJ only stared and didn't respond. Then her lips turned purple and she started to drool. Maria ran to Jasper and he called Amos. By the time we were home she was responsive, smiley but tired. I brought her to the doctor and, seriously!!!!!!!!!!!, at first when I said she had a febrile seizure he said, so describe the quote unquote seizure. Jerk.

But she was fine by that evening. She ate a lot and Mom was there by midnight so I felt safer. She still ran a fever all the next day and (why I love our real pediatrician), Melissa, our NP, called the next day to check in on us. I was worried up until her fever finally subsided and she woke Saturday with no temperature. Man, this stress, of parenting. It hurts my tummy.

Our next event is LJ's birthday party with her friends. It'll be Star Wars themed.




No comments:

Post a Comment