Friday night, the DC United game was Star Wars-themed. Initially, I thought this meant there may be bouncy houses or something in this little area where they have celebrations during the game (we were told there'd be an Ewok Village). When we got to the area I was about to enter panic mode; there was nothing! But then I realized there were a number of individuals dressed up in Star Wars costumes AND a life-size wonderful, wonderful, wonderful R2D2! He talked/beeped, moved around seemingly independently, responded to kids and adults. I was so fascinated it took everything out of me to not try to embrace him. Some Jedi performed a light saber duel and many of the actors/gamers posed for photos. Louisa wore her Rey costume and strutted around the stadium like she was the star of the game. Which she kind of was.
Here are some awesome photos:
![]() |
| The R2!!! LJ's best buddy Zoe and her brother Nate |
![]() | ||
| Rey. Ready to fight bad guys. |
![]() |
| LJ knows the name of each of these characters. I have no clue. |
We brought our neighbors to the game whose daughter Louisa is extra close to and they scurried around the seats, climbing and dancing and hiding. I had every intention of leaving at half time in order to attempt to get LJ a decent night's sleep for her party, but the weather was perfect, warm, no breeze, no humidity. I haven't attended a game this year with such lovely weather. So we stayed. But, seriously, it's stressful going to games alone. I'm losing my motivation to go to games with an active toddler and a baby. EC loves the games. She dances to the cheers, cheers with the crowd, etc, but I feel like I spend most of the time scolding and that's not fun.
Side note: Friday, I spent the morning making pretzel light sabers and oyster crackers. The light sabers were wonderfully time-consuming. This is why it's wonderful: it was drizzly and dark, LJ was at school, Amos took EC to music, I was listening to Lore, a podcast YOU MUST LISTEN TO!, texting Crysten about Lore, etc. I told Amos later that it was probably one of the most relaxing mornings I've had since LJ was born. I think it's because both as a mom and as a student, there is always something else you should be doing. The opportunity cost of relaxing and reading a book includes loads of laundry, dusty shelves, crumby floors, unwritten papers, confusing data, and a disappointed advisor. But Friday morning I was accomplishing something, for an important day, no less, but it was very relaxing and satisfying.
The next morning I went into Operation Prepare. I made PB and J's and cut out star shapes and fruit kebabs to go with the other snacks. It felt minimal to me for the number of kids we were having. But I kept telling myself it was a midafternoon party and they aren't expecting meals. Luckily there was food left over and I didn't feel like I underfed anyone. We picked up the cake and the superfluous balloons and headed over to the church by 130.
And acting teacher from Arts on the Horizon, this great theater group that does early childhood performances which are spectacular, met us and led us to the room where she was going to do a movement class with LJ and her friends. The adjacent room was for the crafts and food. It was so very easy and clear and uncomplicated. Everyone came on time and the kids had a blast. What's more, the acting teacher somehow had managed to acquire about 10 ewoks! The final craft was a utility belt for a Jedi followed by snacks and the birthday cake.
![]() |
| Light Sabers |
![]() |
| Purple for Prince |
![]() |
| Lighting the cake |
![]() |
| I'm really proud of my light sabers. |
It was such a great party and I got home exhausted. I said it was like the day after my wedding, so much energy and emotion put into a short, successful celebration. We opened presents that night and our house is now even more full of Star Wars items.
Whole 30 update: not loving it. I feel bloated most of the time; not full of energy or slim; my stomach still hurts (although my doctor did confirm it isn't colon cancer). I decided I will take cream in my coffee and that will be that. It's better than milk, I guess, for this, and it needs to happen for me to survive this month. I don't love eating this much meat and meal planning is tough with work and active children. Although I did decide, because Amos is out of town on Friday, the girls and I will have BLTs. I will have it as a salad and LJ and EC will have it as God intended. I'm not a huge pork eater, not because of religion since I think the religious reason is questionable, but because of the treatment of the pig. But I would like LJ to enjoy a real BLT at some point.
Also, we are going home probably June 11-19. I'm super excited. LJ is super excited. Sammy is super excited. EC will be overwhelmingly excited because there will be tons of cats to play with.
Finally, a friend of mine had her baby last week. We met them at the park yesterday and EC fell in love. She spent the whole time at the park saying, Baby, Baby, and kept cuddling him, and kissing him. She refused to leave his side. It was amazing. I assume she will be the child/animal loving kind of person that I expect all my children to be (that include Sissy and Teensy).







No comments:
Post a Comment