Tuesday night we hosted a small Seder to begin Passover. Our friends Jessica, Tilly and Dan came and Amos's friend from Minnesota, Tod, was staying with us. Dudes, I knew this would be a challenge. The Seder involves a lot of sitting and talking and telling stories and, unless you have some magical storyteller leading the Seder, toddlers will not enjoy it. I even have a hard time when Seders get too long since my world revolves around eating. So Tilly and LJ watched some Muppets, played in the Louisa's kitchen in the basement, fought over toys, periodically sat on different adult laps, etc. as Amos led the Seder. I do think this kind of tradition can be modified to engage children, and frankly should be (I'm Unitarian, our only rules are kindness and inclusion, which I think is how all religions should be, but whatever although I think the new pope is doing an excellent job trying to change the culture of his religion, just fyi), but we have to get creative with it next year. It was frantic putting it all together with it being on a Tuesday night and having a very busy weekend, so we could've done better. But the company was great and that's all that matters. Louisa is particularly fond of Dan, Tilly's dad, and talks about him most days, expressing her love (I LOOOOOVE DAN, Mommy).
Having Tod here was great and like old times. He and I crack each other up and I feed him. With Louisa now in the mix it is particularly fun given that Tod is great with little ones and Louisa adores everyone. Tod even read Louisa a princess story before bedtime.
Finally, we are excited that Game of Thrones has started. Seriously. And Mad Men. And I'm nearly done with the first Divergent and I think it's really good (Edith) and a quick read. But no Hunger Games.


1. I want to read Divergent. I overheard two young women at Rustica agreeing that the third one was worth skipping. Any insights? I plan on reading the first one soon. As soon as I'm done with Moby Dick (don't judge me - it's hard and I'm slow) and The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, which is nice and poetic and I like how it deals with the topic of disability in this really transcendent way. Similar to The Faults in our Stars minus sarcasm.
ReplyDelete2. We enjoyed our second Seder on Monday night with 9 CHILDREN. At one point there was a letter from a 7 yr-old girl to 8 yr-old boy that said "I love you, your my boyfrend". They met that night. And I thought toddlers were stressful!
P.S. The children got involved in Meira's Seder by singing a lot of silly songs (like about frogs (as in plague of)) and chugging so much grape juice that Sadie wet her bed that night.
ReplyDelete