Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Future Olympian

On Monday evenings, we have our swimming lessons (I have mentioned this before, I believe). They begin at 6:30 which I knew would be a bit late for us, but I have learned it is far too late for Louisa. Although she goes to bed around 8 or 8:30, starting something at 6:30 results in an obstinate, inattentive little girl. She's also nearly two and entering the defiant phase so I understand this is just something we have to work through, not punish or scold.

LJ and I went to swimming lessons on Monday evening. It is cold here, although nothing compared to Minnesota, which makes the idea of getting in the pool in the evening daunting. But, nonetheless, the class is great, the pool is fairly warm and it gets Louisa in the water (I have always thought that swimming any time during the day will lead to a good night's sleep). As usual, Louisa, was eager to get in the water and committed about 50% to the lessons the instructor was giving us. She blew bubbles a few times, put her cheek in the water maybe twice on either side, kicked her legs a little. She gets distracted by the ducks on the side of the pool as well as the big pool where adults are swimming laps. She thinks, as a future Olympian, that she should join the others in the big pool so often I am trying to encourage her to listen to the teacher instead of trying to climb out of the pool.

What is impressive is how she recalls the lessons from the previous week. The instructor taught us how to get out of the pool: "elbow, elbow, knee, knee". Louisa was great at this and really enjoyed the practice. So this week when we swam to the wall to practice getting out, she very deliberately extended her arms on the ledge and said to herself "elbow, elbow, knee, knee". Now unfortunately, once she gets out she wants to run around. But her focus on getting herself out is quite extraordinary.

She also has come to enjoy lying on her back. In previous classes, she was very reluctant but this instructor (as I have said before, she is really great) mentioned counting the elephants on the ceiling to coax the children to lie back. Louisa still remembers this and the second I slide her onto her back she starts pointing at the ceiling and counts the elephants as I sing Twinkle Twinkle.

This most recent lesson, we learned to jump in the pool. As I said, once Louisa is out of the pool she wants to run around, so I thought this might be disastrous. And indeed, she didn't want to jump in and was thrashing when I'd pull her in. But then I made her watch the little girl next to us who was leaping in her mom's arms. Louisa loved it and climbed out of the pool only to turn around and jump in my arms (she doesn't wait until I count to 3 which is a problem). But, because my girl is fiercely independent, once she jumped in my arms a couple times she decided "Wee-ah by herself" and that she didn't need to jump into my arms in order to jump in the pool. So she would get out of the pool, turn around and then scamper back and forth trying to avoid me and, finally, throw herself in the pool to either side of me. Everyone was laughing and entertained, she is so funny. But it's a reminder that this child is fearless but not invincible and, like with horses, she needs to learn a healthy respect for the water that isn't necessarily fear. Also, this is a reminder to me as well as my sister and Aunt Kristi who will likely take her swimming multiple times, that she can't be left unattended by the pool as she will throw herself in.

There is excitement in the air here in DC as a "big" winter storm is coming (4-8 inches!) so multiple emails have gone out at work as well as constant chatter of the latest predictions. We went to the grocery yesterday to pick up food for dinner through Friday so we could avoid the mayhem. More importantly, I hope Amos and LJ go to Home Depot and find a sled so we can maximize our fun in the snow tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment