Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Warm Weather



This weekend gave us a brief respite from the cold, or the "cold", of the Atlantic Corridor. Saturday and Sunday were around 65 so we tried to maximize our time outside. I did tell Amos that nice weather here does not require the desperate rush to get outside like Portland did, as you never knew when a month long rain would start again out there. But we enjoyed the outdoors as much as we could with such a busy weekend.

Saturday morning was Louisa's and my first music class after a three week break. Disturbingly, the director of our program with whom I had emailed briefly but never met, was randomly murdered a few weeks ago. Although Alexandria has very little crime, this offense haunted us all as it had occurred in the daylight with seemingly randomness. Moreover, the women killed was well-loved by the community, known to commit her life to music education for local children.

We attended the class which was enhanced by Louisa's excitement and enthusiasm. By the time we got home, the air was warm and the sky was bright. It felt nearly summery. I excitedly looked at the ten day forecast for our area, thinking perhaps winter was over and spring had begun but, no. I am now sitting in my office having stood in 20 degree weather waiting for a bus (the first never came), so no spring yet.

That afternoon we went to the house of a good friend from work. She has two kids around Louisa's age and we hit it off from the first day we met. Her husband is a huge soccer fan so the afternoon was spent with Amos and Ermal talking soccer and Claudia and I wrangling the happy children. It was such a great afternoon and Amos and I are so thankful we have found this family. In general, the people I work with are exceptional: kind, funny, empowered (a word I have used often to describe the women here recently), interesting and engaged. I'll likely write more on this later as I have been struck with how lucky I am to have been re-established in a world of smart, strong women, a world I grew up in, was educated in, but a world that I have only accessed via emails and phone calls to friends back in Minnesota (and DC) over the past few years. Woo hoo!


Sunday was another beautiful day. And Louisa and I walked to the playground while Amos went to pick up a friend who was in town. Ethan and his girlfriend came over for a brief visit where we ate biscuits and talked about cats. That afternoon we went to Cristina's to spend time with LJ's two favorite people, Cristina and Sarah. Before Sarah arrived, the four of us went on a walk where Louisa chattered the whole time only to break from her chatter to give Cristina cuddles. At one point she walked over to Cristina, said her name tenderly as she wrapped her arms around Cristina's leg, and hugged her tightly, eyes closed, engulfing Xtina's thigh. It was precious.






That evening we hung out (Louisa likes to say "Hang out!"), ate pasta, watched the Muffets and planned a weekend away in March at a cabin in the Shenandoah Valley. Louisa was very insistent on sitting next to Sarah as much as possible and covering her with blankets. When we finally left, the cold had returned. Now we are back under our own Polar Vortex of 30 degree weather. Don't judge me for complaining.

Louisa still loves Frozen and has found a doll from when I was probably 10 which she refers to as "Ana" 70% of the time and "Elsa" the other 30%. There is also a doll from the same brand whom she calls, "Ana's friend". Just the other day Louisa wanted to take a nap with both of them, and another princess, of course.



Even last night we had to cuddle with Ana, her friend, the baby (a doll I found at a consignment sale that she loves), the monkey and, of course, the Tara Blankie. Her friend list is ever-growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment